AIFC EVENTS and NEWS
Auburn Interfaith Food Closet Community Events and News
AIFC In The News
Goal met: Auburn Food Closet events benefit 400-plus
Food Closet Turkey Drive, walk benefit 400-plus
Nov 30, 2021 3:00 PM
Because of many donations toward the Thanksgiving Turkey Drive and Walk to Stock the Food Closet, the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet (AIFC) was able to meet its goal of providing a turkey along with the holiday staples to more than 400 families in need this holiday season.
“The greater Auburn community has always been supportive of our annual holiday campaign to help feed those in need and we are grateful for their support,” AIFC President Andy Hayes said, also thanking the volunteers who worked many hours to make the events happen.
AIFC Vice President Judi Whitman said, “Many of our clients have commented that if it were not for these events, they would not have had such a wonderful Thanksgiving meal.”
“It was great to see so many people from our community show up to the Walk to Stock and support this worthy cause,” said Peter Clark, AIFC board member.
Here is a summary of the events:
- More than 400 turkeys were provided by the community at the sixth annual Auburn Community
- Every person who registered was able to receive a turkey, and the extra turkeys will now be provided to AIFC clients over the next month.
- The Virtual Turkey Drive raised enough money to cover all costs of the program.
Walk to Stock
- More than 485 friends, family, neighbors and dogs joined AIFC on Thanksgiving morning in the 11th annual
Walk to Stock the Food Closet event.
- This program was started by parents of a local school and transitioned to an AIFC-sponsored event in
2018. The 5k/10k event is totally voluntary with people invited to walk or run the route.
- Voluntary donations poured in, netting nearly $9,000, which will be used to support AIFC programs.
- Additional, more than 100 food items were brought and donated. These will be distributed to AIFC clients over the next few weeks.
AIFC recognized the winners of the 5k/10k race:
- 5k winners: Jesse Redding (first), Anna Soares (second) and Micah Redding (third).
- 10k winners: Daniel Buettner (first), Andrew Justus Fritz (second) and Dillon Holloway (third).
With the community’s generosity, the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet was able to provide turkeys to more than 400 families, and extra turkeys will be provided to clients over the next month.
Credit: Courtesy of Isabelle Gaultier/AIFC