Provided by Cal Fresh Healthy Living, UCCE Placer/Nevada Counties, and The Auburn Interfaith Food Closet,
RECIPE TYPE: Soup
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled, cubed (3 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced (2 cups)
- 7 1/4 cups (or 4 14.5-oz. cans) of meat or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or crushed dried thyme, oregano, basil, and rosemary)
- 1 package (10-oz.) frozen spinach
- 1 can (15-oz.) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups noodles, uncooked
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in 6-quart pot, and sauté garlic and onions for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes, celery, carrots, broth, pepper and Italian seasoning; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add spinach, kidney beans, and noodles. Bring to boil again, and stir gently to break up spinach. Cook until noodles are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with parmesan cheese (optional).