Provided by CalFresh Healthy Living, UCCE Placer/Nevada Counties and the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Breakfast, bread
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes.
- 1 3/4 cups all‐purpose flour (or 1 cup whole‐wheat flour plus 3/4 cup all‐purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice (or allspice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cups canned pumpkin or purée
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Paper‐line or grease 12 muffin cups.
- Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice (or allspice), cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil, and applesauce in a large mixer bowl; beat until just blended.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture; stir just until moistened. Spoon batter in prepared muffin cups, filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in muffin centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove muffins from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in covered container or resealable plastic bags.