Adapted from eatfresh.com
RECIPE TYPE: Side Dish
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- 1 can (15-oz.) black, kidney, or garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (11-oz.) corn with red and green peppers, drained – or 1 cup fresh corn, or frozen corn, thawed, plus ½ cup diced green or red peppers (optional)
- 1 zucchini, washed and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, rinsed, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon (or lime) juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, and finely chopped (1/4 cup, or to taste, optional)
- Wash hands. Open can of beans, drain and rinse beans, pour them into a medium bowl.
- Add corn, zucchini, cilantro, lemon (or lime) juice, and jalapeño (if using). Stir to combine.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate for later use.
- Use gloves when handling jalapeño peppers, and avoid touching your face.
- The “three sisters” are corn, beans, and squash (or zucchini). Some indigenous cultures in America planted them together in the garden because they help each other grow.