Adapted from Pinterest
Provided by the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Appetizer, Main or Side Dish
SERVES: 4-6 (Makes 6 to 8 patties)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 10-15 minutes
- ½ cup of small plain breadcrumbs mixed with ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 dash of salt and pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 5-oz. cans of tuna, drained
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup of small plain breadcrumbs
- Wash hands. In a large skillet, pour 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, and heat over medium-high heat, until sizzling hot.
- Break up the tuna into small pieces in a medium bowl; combine with eggs, onion, and 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs mixed with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir vigorously until well combined.
- Shape tuna mixture into 1-inch thick patties (6 to 8). Coat both sides of each patty with plain breadcrumbs. Wash hands.
- Carefully slip patties, 2 or 3 at a time, into the hot oil, and cook until evenly brown, turning once. Do not crowd the pan. Once cooked, remove patties to drain on paper towels, add more oil in skillet as needed, return oil to sizzling hot, and cook the next batch.
- Serve hot with cocktail or tartar sauce.
Mix together 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion, and 2 tablespoons dill or sweet pickle relish. Serve with the tuna cakes.