Adapted from eatfresh.org
RECIPE TYPE: Main
SERVES: 8 (serving size = 2 tacos)
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
- 1 carrot, or 1 zucchini, or 1 sweet potato (rinsed)
- ¼ head of lettuce, rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and chopped
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (15-oz.) Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15-oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 TBSP Chili powder
- 1 tsp each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper + ½ tsp salt (to taste)
- 16 taco shells
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Peel and grate carrot, sweet potato, or grate zucchini. Squeeze dry with paper towels. Shred lettuce.
- Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Brown ground meat on medium heat. Drain excess fat.
- Add grated vegetables, beans, diced tomatoes, and spices. Stir well. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add 2 TBSP of the meat mixture to each taco shell. Top each with 1 TBSP lettuce, and 1 TBSP fresh tomatoes. Divide shredded cheese among tacos.
- Serve with your favorite toppings: sour cream, salsa, low-fat yogurt, hot sauce, and veggies.