Provided by CalFresh Healthy Living, UCCE Placer/Nevada Counties, and the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Main
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced zucchini, minced garlic, crushed red pepper, and diced green bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add beans and undrained tomatoes, then salt, to taste. Mix well.
3. Increase the heat to medium-high, and add the cooked rice. Stir well.
4. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 7 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
5. Uncover, sprinkle the shredded cheese, and place the lid back until the cheese is melted.
6. Serve warm.