Recipe adapted from The Auburn Journal.
Provided by the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Main – Side
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey (optional)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion, and 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes, including juices, or 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-oz. can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 2-4 cups beef or chicken broth (to desired soup consistency)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup small pasta (cooked and drained separately)
- Fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano and/or thyme) for garnish, to taste (optional)
- In a large stockpot, brown the ground meat until no pink remains. Add the onion, celery, and 1-2 tablespoons of oil as needed to sauté the vegetables. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Drain the meat and vegetables of excess fat. Add the carrots, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and seasonings, and simmer for 15-20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in a pot of salted water according to package directions, until al dente, and drain. Off the heat, add pasta to the soup, and stir. Serve the soup with fresh herbs, as desired.