Recipe adapted from Pillsbury’s Pineapple and Carrot Surprise Muffins
RECIPE TYPE: Breakfast – Bread
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (8-oz.) crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, undrained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup raw shredded carrots
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line with paper, or grease only the bottoms of 16 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, pineapple, and egg. Blend well.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture; stir until dry mixture is just moistened. Mix in the carrots, optional raisins and walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them ¾ full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 375°F, or until muffin tops are light brown and a wooden pick inserted in muffin centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes; remove muffins from pan. Serve warm or cold.
Note: Cooled muffins can be stored at room temperature for 2-4 days in a single layer, in a zip-lock bag lined with paper towels underneath and above the muffins. Muffins can also be frozen, individually wrapped, and stored in a freezer bag.