Provided by the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Side
SERVES: 4 – 6
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOL TIME: 15 minutes
BAKE TIME: 30 minutes at 350°F
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 medium potatoes (2 lbs.), washed, and peeled (if desired)
- 2 cups chicken broth, or reconstituted (low sodium) chicken bouillon or plain water
- 4 oz. cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch dried thyme, or ground nutmeg (optional)
- Bring the chicken broth or plain water to a boil on high heat in a 3-quart pan.
- Add the potatoes in the pan, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and cook for 15-20 minutes on low heat, until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Use tongs or a fork to transfer the potatoes from the pan to a plate, and cool for 15 minutes, reserving the liquid in the pan. Once cool, cut the potatoes into thin slices.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a casserole dish, arrange half of the potato slices, sprinkle with half the cheese. Season with pepper and optional spices. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes and cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Serve warm.