Provided by the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Main – Side
SERVES: 6 – 8
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 21/2 hours
- 2 cups dry pinto beans (~ 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound sausage (mild or spicy, based on preference)
- 4 medium carrots, scrubbed and diced (1 cup)
- 1 whole onion, diced (1 cup)
- 5 cups broth (or water)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheese (optional)
- Rinse pinto beans, removing broken beans and particles. Place in a large bowl with 6 cups water, bring to a boil in microwave oven on High (or bring to a boil in pan on stove). Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes, then drain and rinse beans.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage in 1/2-inch pieces. Heat oil in a large heavy pot, sauté sausage pieces on medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic to the pot, and cook until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Then add carrots and beans, cover with broth (or water) by 1 inch.
- Add bay leaf, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil on medium high. Reduce heat to simmer, cover with lid, and cook until beans are tender, 1 1⁄2 to 2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf, sprinkle cheese on top, and serve hot.