Provided by CalFresh Healthy Living, UCCE Placer/Nevada Counties and the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Main dish
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 5 to 10 hours
- 1 pound dried green split peas, rinsed
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and medium diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, medium diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, medium diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups or 3 cans (14.5 oz.) vegetable broth
- 1 meaty smoked ham bone or 2 ham hocks, about 1 pound (optional)*
- Salt and pepper
- Arrange the split peas in a 6-quart slow cooker in an even layer. Arrange the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, and bay leaves over the peas in one even layer. *Place ham bone or hocks on top of the vegetables (optional).
- Pour the vegetable broth into the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the peas are very soft (and the meat is falling off the bone) on high for 5 to 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours.
- *(Optional): Remove the ham bone or hocks to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bones, place the meat back in the soup, and stir to combine. Discard the skin and bones.
- Remove bay leaves. Season with salt & pepper as needed.