Provided by CalFresh Healthy Living UCCE
Placer/Nevada Counties, and the Auburn Interfaith
RECIPE TYPE: Soup, vegetable dish
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter or trans-fat free margarine
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2” pieces (about 2½ cups)
- 2 cans (15-oz. each) whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4-oz.) roasted diced green chiles
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- Salt to taste
- Wash hands. In a large pan, sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in butter or margarine until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for another minute.
- Add potatoes, corn, green chiles, broth, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
- If a creamier consistency is desired, puree half of the batch in a blender. Return pureed mixture to pot and stir in milk. Cook uncovered on low for 5-10 minutes. Add salt to taste.