Adapted from www.myrecipes.com
Provided by Placer/Nevada UC CalFresh Nutrition
Education Program and the Auburn Interfaith
RECIPE TYPE: Main Dish
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 1/3 cups cooked brown rice*, cooled
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil (optional)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 cup green beans**
- 2 cups zucchini,** chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 oz.) Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Combine the rice, tomatoes, basil, sunflower seeds, grated lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, and toss until well combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and green beans; sauté 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sautéed zucchini and green beans and remaining 2 tablespoons oil to rice mixture; toss to combine. Top with Parmesan cheese (optional).
Note: This is a highly adaptable recipe; feel free to use whatever grains* (white rice, quinoa, orzo, etc.) and vegetables** (cooked beans, summer squash, eggplant, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, etc.) you have available.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.