Provided by the Auburn Interfaith Food Closet
RECIPE TYPE: Breakfast, Snack
MAKES: 36 standard muffins or 1 cake (9”x 13” pan)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
BAKING TIME: 20-40 minutes at 350 °F
1 medium zucchini, grated (1 1/2 cup)
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and shredded (1 cup)
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Walnut halves and apple slices for garnish (optional)
- Wash hands. Pre-heat oven to 350 °F. Generously butter (or use cooking spray) and flour three standard muffins pans (2½”) or two 8” round cake pans, or one 9”x13” pan.
- Squeeze dry zucchini and apple between paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat eggs with mixer. Add oil, granulated and brown sugars, vanilla and lemon zest. Beat until well blended. Reduce beater speed to low, and add the flour mixture.
- Combine zucchini mixture with remaining flour, fold with chopped walnuts into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan(s), and bake until toothpick comes out clean (Muffins: 20-25 min.; Cake: 30-40 min.)
- Cool pan(s) on rack for 15 min. Remove muffins/cake from pan, and cool completely on rack.
In bowl, with mixer at Medium speed, beat ¼ cup softened butter, and 6 ounces softened cream cheese until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest; beat until well combined. Reduce speed to Low, beat in 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, until smooth. Frost muffins or cake. Garnish with walnuts and apple slices, if desired.